Montana's dirt roads; Photograph by Max Lowe

Montana’s dirt roads; Photograph by Max Lowe

400 Miles From Yellowstone to Glacier

The fourth largest state with one of the lowest populations, Montana—my home base—is still very much a wild and undeveloped place. My friends and I will drive the back roads through the heartland of the state, through countless mountain ranges, along rivers and streams seldom seen by outsiders, and up to the northern border in Glacier National Park. Along the route we’ll climb, kayak, river surf, fish, and bike some of the most pristine and beautiful environments our country has to offer. Would you care to join us?

Explore the “land of  the shining mountains” with Max Lowe, a 25-year-old National Geographic Young Explorer, adventure writer, photographer, and filmmaker. Join Max and his friends as they drive the dirt roads of Montana from Bozeman to Yellowstone up to Missoula and Glacier National Park—and all points in between.

See the story unfold starting here on Tuesday, August 19, 2014.

Comments

1. Mick McMillan
    Cascade, MT
    August 15, 6:54 am

Max, if your time permits, check out the “Ross Creek Giant Cedars”. This stand of Cedar trees is located SW of Libby, MT by 30 miles of so. These are ancient trees and they’re located in a small pocket where ideal weather conditions exist for their growth. You’ll be in the Cabinet Mountain range…..Grizzly Bear territory. Spectacular scenic views in every direction.

2. Susan
    California
    August 16, 10:34 am

I was intrigued when I read the article in National Geograph about your adventure. Having lived in Northwestern Montana I can understand your fascination for the “dirt roads” of that magnificent country. But then it always seemed all the side roads and draws are dirt and some gravel. Always a cloud of dust in the rear view mirror. It will be a pleasure to accompany you on your adventure and share in the surprises it will offer you. Happy Driving.

3. Montana by Dirt Coming Soon
    August 18, 10:37 am

[…] the story unfold starting here on Tuesday, August 18, […]

4. Lee
    Fresno, Calif
    August 18, 5:53 pm

Hello Max:

Please be sure to check out the Blackfoot Indian Reservation, plus the view of Chief Mountain, the last mountain of the range in the US..

5. Scott Daigre
    Ojai,CA
    August 19, 12:52 am

I’ve been all over but never to Montana! Looking forward to the trip. Safe travels Max.

6. Ken
    Fredericksburg , VA
    August 20, 5:32 pm

When do you plan on embarking on this trip ?

7. Shauna
    NE Montana
    August 25, 3:50 pm

Looking forward to following your adventures! Montana’s dirt roads are truly the Last Best Place!

8. Colleen McNeil
    Columbia Falls, Montana
    August 29, 4:05 pm

Yes, I do love my state and so glad that you got to enjoy some of it’s pristine beauty! Come ski in Whitefish, my hometown.