Starting today, 18 of the world’s top snowboarders will face off in the inaugural Red Bull Supernatural Contest, a competition unlike any before. Snowboarder Travis Rice, one of our 2012 Adventurers of the Year, has created his dream playground designed to determine the best snowboarder on the planet.

Located in the backcountry of Canada’s Baldface Lodge, the heli-access-only 2,200-vertical-foot “Scary Cherry” run has been enhanced with more than 80 man-made features that took Rice and his crew five months to build. The course is designed to test a wide range of skills such as navigation and the ability to ride natural terrain as well as overcome challenging man-made obstacles. The daylong competition will run sometime between today and February 8 to ensure the event takes place under the best possible weather conditions.

“Inspiration for the course design came from nature, straight up, and the crazy features that I’ve seen people ride,” said Rice. “Also, some inspiration came from what they are able to do with mountain biking courses, like building stuff through the trees. There’s no limit to what is possible with a little creativity and some will.”

Rice himself is known for his creative moves. In his film The Art of Flight, he and his friends performed breathtaking snowboard feats in previously uncharted terrain. Now with a course of his own design, Rice seeks to inspire competitors to show off their own ingenuity. His ultimate goal for the competition? “To crown the best, most well rounded snowboarder in the world.”

By Samantha Cook

Comments

1. Kitchen zone
    February 4, 2012, 1:36 pm

Scary and risky. But the people who engage in this Supernatural competition will certainly all be the winners because not everyone is capable of reaching heights like these.

2. What to do in London
    February 5, 2012, 2:15 am

Thanks for the tips.

3. Cancer
    February 5, 2012, 2:17 am

This is one of the scariest adventure so far. I want to try but too risky for me.

4. Safaris
    February 6, 2012, 10:44 am

Wow..Very interesting! Thank you for the ideas

5. Christian Fourie
    February 7, 2012, 3:53 am

Some days I wish to be a bit younger! I have watch these guys do their thing..Wow!

6. buy essay do my essay
    February 7, 2012, 8:48 am

Great!

7. wedding dress
    February 10, 2012, 12:50 am

A little risky but really exciting!!!

8. Pizzaliefer
    February 13, 2012, 1:32 am

Pizzaliefer is the fastest food delivery plateform having about 13,000 restaurants in almost 97 countries with more than 143 stores in various cities of Germany….

9. anya
    February 15, 2012, 10:31 am

With the advent of technology and the rise of adventure filming, I find it incredible the lengths that people like Travis Rice go to in order to seek adventure, perfect their craft, and explore new terrain. I believe that films like “The Art of Flight” not only inspire young men and women who themselves snowboard (my little brother being one of his biggest fans), but also people outside the sport get a chance to see a beauty and adventure that they may not otherwise get to experience. Snowboarding is not only a rising career form, it is an instrument for sharing with the world a part of humanity – adventure.

10. rip dvd to mkv
    February 15, 2012, 10:06 pm

When we see others do it, it is very exciting. However, when it comes to ourselves, I think most of the guys will feel risky and dangerous.

11. hepatitis symptom
    February 19, 2012, 7:05 pm
  12. jerseys
    February 22, 2012, 9:41 pm

Life is an edge, and also the feelings, the stuff you deliberately pursue a lifetime not, you did not expect brilliant but will you indifferent calm unexpected.A student, walked along the way, there are a lot of passing, I like, like my muddle of feelings and memories, in the heart. This article touched me, and you also have to!

13. Burberry Sale
    February 23, 2012, 2:00 am

Thank you for your artice, it is wonderful. Wish you have a happy day.

14. Hermes Birkin
    February 23, 2012, 2:11 am

Really liked your article, very exciting, and gives a lot of thinking, I hope you can see more of your article, thank you

15. Hai
    February 25, 2012, 1:36 am

I like your inspiration,very skillful people,you guy are excellent Rice.

16. Mountain Yahoos
    June 6, 2012, 9:11 pm

Is there any update for this competition? I wonder who one and declared to be the best snowboarder in the world.