Airs-side-by-side
By Keene Haywood

There is only one person on the planet who can wrap up aluminum and glass and sell it to the masses in the form of a computer called the Air. That person is Apple's Steve Jobs, and he recently unveiled the new MacBook Air laptops.

Incredibly thin and light as the name suggests, these portables offer some great options for backcountry and adventure travelers who need the power of a full computer with mature operating system wrapped into a solid aluminum enclosure weighing less than your four-season sleeping bag. Two new models were released in 11-inch (2.3 pounds) and 13-inch (2.9 pounds) screen sizes. The 13-inch Air is more or less the same form factor as the original Air introduced in 2008, only slightly thinner and lighter. But this is where the similarities end. There are a number of improved features for the Air line, including the introduction of the second smaller 11-inch model. This smaller model may be the most compelling for those who travel with a backpack instead of briefcase.

New in both models is the addition of a second USB port, an audio jack that can use the microphone on integrated iPhone headsets, and higher resolution screens along with full size keyboards—even on the 11-inch model. The 11-inch model offers less storage capacity and slower processor options than the 13-inch and also does not include the handy SD card slot for reading images from cameras. It also has about two hours less battery capacity, rated at about five hours versus seven hours for the 13-inch model. But, in the world of backcountry travel where ounces matter, the 11-inch model may be a good choice for those who need to do basic computing work such as writing, some lightweight imaging work and web browsing (if you have an Internet connection). The slim, light form factor along the long battery life makes it ideal as group computer on a trip or expedition. In addition, the slim and sturdy aluminum frame of the Airs make them easy to slide into a backpack and the solid state flash drive make these computers boot up extremely fast and maintain their standby modes for a month. Pretty nice for using the field. A final plus is that the use of flash memory for file storage, aside from small fan, the Airs have no moving parts further adding to their durability while on the go despite their thin design.

And if your travels don’t necessarily include a trail and an overnight in a tent, the Airs still are great computers for frequent travelers. Both models will serve you well for those on the go without weighing you down. These laptops are the real deal and not scaled back netbooks. The 13-inch can do a surprising amount of computer processing, including some video, audio, and photo editing. The speed is deceptive because both Air models use the older Intel Core 2 Duo processors including the same one that was in the original Air (supposedly the newer processors run too hot for such a compact form factor). The speed comes from using flash memory instead of a spinning hard drive or standard solid state drive. The difference is both speed and power consumption is dramatic. In addition, a better graphics chip and the ability to bump up to 4 GB of RAM all make the built to order Airs attractive as well as speedy. You have to add the extra memory memory when you order your Air as it is soldered to the motherboard at the factory.

So give the new MacBook Air some serious consideration if you travel often and need a well built, fairly powerful system to get your work done. I think you will find them a pleasure to use. They make nearly perfect second complementary computers to desktop systems and the 13-inch can serve as a primary system for many users, especially if most of your days are spent far from your desk.

Comments

1. Amazon Perks
    November 9, 2010, 2:28 pm

Fancy a new laptop but didnt know which one to go for. I think Ive now made a decision. Thanks.

2. Liam@Trekking Life
    November 9, 2010, 4:34 pm

You have to factor in how you will connect to the internet on the trail, and what happens when you drop it/get it wet.
    Besides, half the fun of being on the trail is getting away from computers.

3. Oil painting art
    November 12, 2010, 4:38 pm

Well, Apple always try to release some very good products.

4. seo
    November 17, 2010, 10:42 am

I have never been a Mac owner, but have always appreciated their design and ability. Are Mac’s thhe only PC that do not require a fan for cooling? If so, then why do PC laptops?

5. bittorrent movies
    November 17, 2010, 1:01 pm

Speed is the use of flash memory instead of a hard drive or SSD standard rotation. The difference is both speed and power is dramatic. In addition, a better graphics chip and the ability bump.

6. emu
    November 23, 2010, 11:03 pm

Despite the comfort reasons, many people will still not wear these boots because of their appearance.

7. North Carolina DUI Lawyer
    November 26, 2010, 2:41 am

Last month, I was planning to buy a new laptop and I was looking for something that is easy to handle so that I can bring it anywhere I want. After reading your article, I’ve made decision. This kind of laptop really suits my taste and the kind of work that I have. I can work if I want. That’s really comfortable. But I have one question, what will happen if it gets wet? I, mean does it have a water resistance? I’m hoping to hear the answer from you soon. Thanks.

8. Fine art oil painting
    December 1, 2010, 11:40 am

Apple often release great product.

9. Zahnarzt Kiel
    December 2, 2010, 8:19 pm

This is by far the best mac book ever. I gonna buy of it when I save some. As always apple products are the best.

10. plastic mold
    December 17, 2010, 2:16 am

Thanks for writing this blog post, it was informative, enjoyable, and most importantly – a good length!

11. Pieces of artwork
    December 21, 2010, 1:01 pm

Nice technology this is going to fit well in your bag.

12. leiqiong
    January 5, 2011, 10:28 pm

I came to your article from another article and am really interested in this learning about this. , I feel strongly about information and love learning more on this. If possible, as you gain expertise, It is extremely helpful for me. would you mind updating your blog with more information?

13. DUI Attorney in Lincolnton
    January 6, 2011, 3:20 am

Impressive. I think that already answers my need. I’m giving my old laptop to my niece and buy a new one. And I’m looking for something that is easy to carry. I mean, easier than the other laptops that I’ve been using for years. How much is the cost of it? Can I order on-line?

14. christian louboutin shoes on sale
    May 10, 2011, 11:54 pm

Campaigners believe that calls for European ships to be more active in assisting migrants are now becoming more urgent

15. Art gallery
    May 19, 2011, 11:29 am

Nicely done Apple.

16. Larry Bird Authentic Jersey
    July 5, 2011, 9:25 pm

desirable It may not be their dream job, but artists can support themselves while doing something creative They are just figments of imagination, generated by an alcohol-soaked or drug-influenced brain

17. Calvin Klein
    July 21, 2011, 11:19 pm

beautiful but dangerous travelling
    Cool

18. Silver Jewelry Supplies
    September 16, 2011, 4:57 am

Everyone that has bought and reviewed this jersey gave

19. oakley active sunglasses
    September 23, 2011, 4:47 am

“I don’t face oil oil?”
    “Reflective, can’t see clearly.”

20. wholesale snapback hats
    October 22, 2011, 2:00 pm

How are they performing against the expectation that is required for the team to be successful?They started to see that, “We’ll get it corrected

21. AirMax PasCher
    November 17, 2011, 2:56 am

He often changes the game and plays in such decisive manner that the opposition finds no place to beat them What could be easier than that?FasterAs hinted at earlier, buying hobby

22. AirMax PasCher
    November 17, 2011, 2:59 am

Only thing you have to do is keep a sharp lookout on when such offers come on boardThe hobby of collecting signed jerseys is a lot of fun, but you must be careful to get the real

23. Custom Jerseys
    November 17, 2011, 3:00 am

24. Belstaff Coats Outlets
    November 19, 2011, 10:06 am

I like you on facebook and follow through google reader!

25. Custom Jerseys
    November 21, 2011, 4:13 am

I agree with your point of view

26. Baby Games
    December 19, 2011, 8:51 pm

That is fine,thanks for your sharing.