Adventure Photography: About the Shot – Skiing Whistler, British Columbia

Skiing-redbull
Photograph by Eric Berger, Red Bull Illume

Which photo is your favorite from this year's collection of Red Bull Illume adventure photo contest winners? Here's one of ours from the "New Creativity" category. Click through to see the photo gallery >>

About the Shot
This image was captured in a snowmobile-access backcountry area just south of Whistler. My friend Adam Topshee had scoped out some interesting ice formations that he thought would be good to shoot. We asked our friend Dan Treadway to join us.

At first it didn’t seem like much, but as we began to explore, we found interesting angles and got more comfortable working around the ice. Eventually, I was comfortable enough to position myself in one of the cracks in order to shoot out toward the opening. I was pretty nervous and excited at the same time, as I realized it was a unique angle and had some potential to be a great shot.

On his first try, Dan sent too much snow down with him and I never saw him pass. I only saw a wall of snow pouring over the opening. The whole thing was coordinated with radios so that we could communicate effectively. Even with the radios, the moment was very short-lived as Dan passed very quickly over the cave opening. Luckily, I managed to capture the shot on the second attempt. It was pointed out to me later that the scene resembles a closing wave shot from within. Ice is just frozen water, so it’s ironic in a way. I think it’s one of my strongest images to date.—Photographer Eric Berger

Comments

1. Kim
    November 1, 2010, 2:04 pm

Awesome shot Eric!
    It reminds me of a surfer on a wave, with the ice creating a pipeline.
    Great photo

2. Mark
    November 2, 2010, 12:22 am

Great shot…how deep is the cavern? You can see your footprints going in.

3. Jewelry Link Exchange
    November 2, 2010, 1:41 am

Amazing Picture posted here!! great adventure for life

4. Lady Ferret
    November 2, 2010, 8:11 pm

Just shows how hard a photographer has to work to get an outstanding photo.

5. lonnie
    November 3, 2010, 3:19 am

WOW! Amazing shot! I really wish I could do this too. I really love it.

6. foto tatuaggi
    November 3, 2010, 6:32 am

traviswills25

7. Krish
    November 3, 2010, 9:13 am

Really amazing pic there! and i can see the footprints of the photographer ^^
    Great photo!

8. No Deposit Poker
    November 3, 2010, 1:07 pm

It was comfortable enough for me the position of the cracks in order to shoot the opening. I was very nervous and excited at the same time, realised that it was a unique angle and had a potential to be a big hit.

9. Andy A.
    November 5, 2010, 1:25 pm

This is one of the most incredible photographs that I have ever seen! This shot is beautiful and a little scary all at the same time. Great job, I would have never considered going down into a cave in the ice to take a picture.

10. monclerwomenjackets
    November 11, 2010, 12:54 am

[url=http://www.moncler-women-jackets.com/moncler-jura-down-long-jackets-in-blackw004-p-794.html%5DMoncler jura down long jackets in black[/url] However the best-case situation associated with closing the actual drip is actually 2 alleviation water wells becoming drilled diagonally to the gushing nicely difficult company which will not prepare yourself till July.The actual fans loves to fulfill it’s clients, so that all of their items provides a low cost. Bet following bet did not [url=http://www.moncler-women-jackets.com/moncler-jura-down-long-jackets-in-blackw004-p-794.html%5DMoncler jura down long jackets in black[/url] exactly what has get to be the countries worst-ever drip, and it is readying an additional try as soon as Thursday, that one the cut-and-cap procedure to place the cover about the seeping wellhead therefore essential oil could be siphoned towards the area.

11. Rajasthan Tour
    November 26, 2010, 8:58 am

nice pics i m enjoy it very much.

12. damper
    December 17, 2010, 2:20 am

A wonderful article. In my life, I have never seen a man be so selfless in helping others around him to get along and get working.

13. seo agency india
    February 8, 2011, 7:47 am

i like Adventure’s so cool

14. brugge restaurant
    February 14, 2011, 4:35 am

just Amazing shot! I really wish I could do this too. I really love it. ok

15. Chloe
    March 7, 2011, 7:23 pm

Hello Everybody!
    We’re developing a documentary series about extreme wedding photography and we’re on the hunt for a photographer or team of photographers that have a VERY BIG PERSONALITY, are strong willed and not afraid of anything.
    We need for this person to guide and push the couples to go further to have the most extreme adventure wedding shoot ever. Is this you?? *I know you all don’t specialize in weddings, but it’s more about the extreme adventures that you would make the couples do that we’re focusing on.
    If this is something you’re interested in, let me know asap and we can chat! We’re casting this week! (ceckert@anaid.com)

March 9, 2011, 4:44 pm

17. Sarah Plum
    June 6, 2011, 3:51 pm

wow that looks so wonderful.. excellent photo

18. huntington beach chiropractor
    July 7, 2011, 7:07 pm

19. quail hill irvine
    July 12, 2011, 9:45 pm

20. Calvin Klein
    July 21, 2011, 11:22 pm

beautiful but dangerous travelling
    Cool

21. hermes birkin replica
    September 27, 2011, 11:36 pm

There are many things should be taken into consideration, but you’ve made a good point here. Thanks a lot for that. I will follow your way soon.

22. casino en ligne
    October 28, 2011, 12:03 pm

I’m a big fan of photography in motion, this particular photo is of high professionalism, good exposition is well seen

23. Copy Xbox 360 Games
    November 1, 2011, 9:23 am

Great shot…how deep is the cavern? You can see your footprints going in. ..

24. air jordan shoes
    December 16, 2011, 4:04 am

Awesome shot Eric!
    It reminds me of a surfer on a wave, with the ice creating a pipeline.

25. jordan shoes
    December 16, 2011, 8:08 pm

It reminds me of a surfer on a wave, with the ice creating a pipeline.
    Great photo

26. Burberry Sale
    February 23, 2012, 2:41 am

Thank you for your artice, it is wonderful. Wish you have a happy day.

27. Hermes Birkin
    February 23, 2012, 3:06 am

Really liked your article, very exciting, and gives a lot of thinking, I hope you can see more of your article, thank you