Follow South African explorer Mike Horn and his expedition team as they trek through Pakistan's Karakoram Valley high in the Himalayas.

The Pangaea Project (PAN Global Adventure for Environmental Action) is a four-year exploration spanning the globe initiated by South African explorer Mike Horn in 2008. The project was devised by Horn as a way to engage international youth in exploring the world around them, learning about human impacts on the environment, and actively participating in clean-up and community projects.

Having engaged in beach and island clean-up projects in Borneo and India earlier this year, Horn and his expedition team now find themselves in the majestic heights of the Himalayas, guiding a group of eight young explorers on a month-long trek over Pakistan's Karakoram Valley to witness firsthand the amazing views of Nanga Parbat, Broad Peak, the Gasherbrum peaks, the Baltoro Massif, and the mighty K2.

In addition to exploring the range, Horn's team is assisting in the cleanup of several climbing basecamps along the way. The young explorers chosen for this expedition represent five different continents: Kai Pryce-Fitchen (16) from South Africa, Basil Tan She Jeeng (20) from Singapore, Jye Kluske (19) from Australia, Alexander Groos (20) and Daniel Hübner (20) from Germany, Tiziana Gee (19) from Switzerland, Hugo Clément (17) from France, and Erica Wineland-Thomson (20) from the United States.

Also traveling with Horn, a team from the Mayo Clinic is testing and evaluating the explorers' performances in the adverse conditions of a high altitude environment, utilizing new technologies that remotely monitor human physiology. Through the study, the Clinic seeks to learn more about the impacts of altitude on human physiology in the hopes that such knowledge may someday help us to expand the limits of human performance in adverse conditions.

Over the next week, National Geographic Adventure will provide daily glimpses into the final leg of the Pangaea Project's Himalayan Expedition. Meet the expedition team in the video above, then join us daily through the end of June as we go inside the expedition with Mike Horn and his team, exploring the culture of Pakistan and the majestic beauty of the Himalayas.

Comments

1. Bob Nellis
    June 25, 2010, 10:00 am

For more on Mayo Clinic’s studies on altitude sickness and other expedition-related conditions, visit the laboratory at

2. sto credits
    July 28, 2010, 2:37 am

Mike Horn should receive respect from people,he is great,I should learn from his spirit of the studying.

3. ffxiv gil
    August 23, 2010, 4:30 am

Yeah,before we do something,we should take a responsibility to do it,then we can do it better,and should use truth method,

4. air jordans
    September 19, 2010, 9:32 pm

Thanks for sharing your article. I really enjoyed it. I put a link to my site to here so other people can read it. My readers have about the same interets

5. hollister outlet
    October 5, 2010, 2:21 am

s a child I was slave to my impulses; now I am slave to my habits, as are all grown men. I have surrendered my free will to the years of accumulated habits anddwa the past deeds of my life have already marked out a path which threatenswa

6. sara davis
    November 30, 2010, 9:14 pm

Around the world!…Sun Putty is known for extreme environment protection! We challenge anyone to doubt the amazing efficacy of our ingredient decks…
    100% Natural…100% Effective…Safe for you and the environment…That’s our mission!
    Get out there…but stay protected…with Sun Putty http://www.sunputty.com

March 4, 2011, 8:56 pm

8. yeezy
    March 29, 2011, 6:58 am

9. elan-credit-card
    November 3, 2011, 3:54 am

It’s good that everybody is responsible enough to do their tasks. How long will it takes to arrive at the peak of that mountain?

10. tagalog love quotes
    November 27, 2011, 10:26 am

exploring the heights for a cause. This was an excellent work from Mr. Horn. Expeditions like this are so exciting.

11. web hosting in pakistan
    December 2, 2011, 5:41 am

Whenever I visit your blog, I can feel the spirit of devotion to the job and willingness to learn. Your smile enlightens me. I am happy meeting you. Your posts on the steps to follow in preparing and using tools in addition to your blog will be a reference in future.

12. Philadelphia House
    January 30, 2012, 8:31 am

Wow these guys are young, how i wished i experienced this when i was young