IMG_4935
National Geographic Digital Media’s Korena Di Roma will be traveling to South Africa to report on the Comrades Marathon, the start of the World Cup, and World Vision‘s humanitarian efforts in the country. Follow her dispatches here. Photographs by Korena di Roma

IMG_4890Single-leg amputee Paul Martin lifts his sponsored child—born without
arms—at the 60-kilometer point near Field’s Hill. Martin completed the
race in 10 hours and 30 minutes.

For months I’ve been preparing to be in South Africa to see Team World Vision run the Comrades Marathon, and I admit that I had no idea what to expect. But of all the possible outcomes, seeing all 18 team members cross the finish line before the 12-hour cutoff was unforgettable.

Josh Cox, who holds the American record for the 50K, came to South Africa to win Comrades. He achieved a silver medal for under seven hours after battling stomach problems on the course. At the 30-kilometer point, onlookers said he seemed frustrated and apologetic as he passed the team’s cheerleaders who were gathered with the children the runners sponsor. But he kept going—and that’s the story of Comrades, which I understand better now that I’ve seen the people who took on what is billed as the Ultimate Human Race.

IMG_4904Leading the pack after Josh was Todd Katter, with a time of 8:46. Just 22 years old, Hannah Landecker was the team’s third finisher, completing the run in 8 hours and 53 minutes. She was the 211th woman to cross the finish line, and I was there when she passed the 30K and 60K milestones. Each time she was smiling widely, running at the front of the sub-9-hour pace group, and when I saw her at Sahara Stadium in Durban, where runners come in for the finish, she was sporting a Bill Rowan medal—named for the first winner of Comrades and given to those who finish between seven and nine hours.

It was cold the morning of the run. We had slept in the dormitory of a boys’ school in Pietermartizburg after having had lunch with some of the sponsored children. It was the first time that the children had been away from home, and they also slept there, in rooms that housed ten or twelve cots for regular boarders. None of us got much sleep that night, but in the morning as we ate breakfast, the team seemed at ease with what was ahead of them.

We saw nearly all of the team members pass the 30 and 60 kilometer marks, then we drove to Sahara Stadium, seeing on the way the line of runners that clogged the course, a moving band of color that extended over the hills. I’ve never seen anything like it. In the end, we gathered in a tent at the stadium trading stories and waiting for other runners to come in.

Being near the finish line before the cutoff was a heartbreaking experience. I may never forget the man in his sixties who passed in front of us, his clothes drenched and his face resigned. With fifty seconds to go, he might have made it if he were running, but he only walked, crying, knowing that as close as he was, it wasn’t going to happen. And there was a couple, each holding up one end of a banner with a photo of the daughter they’d lost to cancer. She was stoic, but he was crying uncontrollably. Other runners were holding hands or holding each other up, and of course Chariots of Fire played on the loudspeaker.

It was a huge accomplishment for Team World Vision that everyone finished the race. In fact, they almost made it look easy. At the tent, Todd Katter said it had been the worst day of his life pain-wise, but you wouldn’t have known it to look at him. Josh said he kept going because he knew the little girl that he and his wife sponsor would be waiting at the finish line. Maybe meeting the kids the day before made that kind of difference for everyone.

Next up, we’ll be visiting World Vision’s Okhahlamba development area in the Drakensburg mountains. Tonight we collected our tickets for the World Cup, and I’ll be bringing details as the tournament gets closer.

Comments

1. Austin Travel
    June 2, 2010, 8:19 pm

Did I read that right? A 56 mile marathon? Geez.

2. Booking Team
    June 3, 2010, 10:53 am

56 miles – it is really strong!

3. Andreina
    June 4, 2010, 1:25 pm

That sounds amazing! and inspiring! I guess I shouldn’t complain any more if I need to walk a few blocks or take some stairs once in a while….. Beautiful writing :)

4. Hannah Landecker
    June 6, 2010, 3:17 pm

I love it!! This is a perfect description :)

5. Gina Fernandez
    September 9, 2010, 6:25 pm

I was living in Pietermarizberg during the Comrades. The local runners live for this run. It is a rite of passage. Fun to watch and amazing stories to go with the run.

6. Herve Leger
    September 28, 2010, 4:28 am

Excellent site, keep up the good work my colleagues would love this. I read a lot of blogs on a daily basis and for the most part, people lack substance but, I just wanted to make a quick comment to say I’m glad I found your blog. Thanks

7. ugg classic bottes
    December 15, 2010, 12:40 am

trasformato in una replica Daytona 500 driver macchina da corsa. I miei sogni erano (o quasi) si avvera. Vorrei solo che ho potuto ricordare quella gara.

8. Penis Enlargement
    January 20, 2011, 1:10 pm

I am thoroughly convinced in this said post. I am currently searching for ways in which I could enhance my knowledge in this said topic you have posted here. It does help me a lot knowing that you have shared this information here freely. I love the way the people here interact and shared their opinions too. I would love to track your future posts pertaining to the said topic we are able to read.

9. Miguel Zepp
    March 2, 2011, 5:54 pm

Make sure you choose a travel cot that suits your needs, there is no point buying a deluxe travel cot which is heavy and takes up a lot of space if you are traveling overseas where you may have limited room and have to pay extra on flights for large items.

March 4, 2011, 9:48 pm

11. discount coach handbags
    March 24, 2011, 2:50 am

Thanks for sharing! The reason for your blog is always to document your life and give your personal thoughts. A few idea are usually distinct with me but incredibly specific. What you would like to offer to the modern society, I believe I’ve been recognized that. As long as everyone do good and assume that.r

12. Graphic Design Courses Brisbane
    August 1, 2011, 1:14 am

Very inspiring….Paul Martin inspires me the most. I now realize how bless am I to have a complete body yet I keep on asking for more(I mean not extra body parts)…Thank you Paul.

13. For 3 consecutive years I’ve been joining marathons for a cause to change lives, promote the humanitarian movements, protect the environment and to save lives…. It’s very refreshing to help other people by just running, by just exerting small efforts you can give them new hope to face challenges in life and bring smile into their faces.

14. elan-credit-card
    November 3, 2011, 4:06 am

Paul Martin is such a great guy.

15. convert dvd to mkv
    November 8, 2011, 8:58 pm

56 miles, I really admire the players, they are all very strong even the players who can not finish the match.

16. Christian Fourie
    February 4, 2012, 7:08 am

The discipline and hard work of runners are so seldom taken in accout. So many run for the personal pleasure.

17. Hai
    February 25, 2012, 1:08 pm

This is marvelous.I wonder how fit they are.So proud of these guys.