Cartography 2.0: Volunteers Help Map Africa as Never Before

Mapa-450

A high-tech mapping project canvasses the African bush

The lioness coughed, and Mark Eveleigh looked up from his laptop. There were seven of them, 400 pounds each—that’s 2,800 pounds of feline—staring right at him. Eveleigh was in northern Uganda helping create a map of Africa, and like so many before him, he was risking his life in the name of cartography. But unlike those early explorers, Eveleigh traveled with a satellite uplink and a GPS—not an astrolabe.

Mapa-lake
Eveleigh is one of 40 volunteers who have devoted the past 18 months to a project called Mapping Africa’s Protected Areas (MAPA). The goal: produce the first comprehensive digital chart of all the protected places on the continent. Every road and game trail and water hole. Eventually, when it’s all said and done, millions of coordinates will be working in concert with photos and video to establish what amounts to a kind of Google Street View of the Serengeti.

Mapa-jeep
March Turnbull, the South African businessman who started MAPA, sees the project as elemental: “How are you supposed to protect something if you don’t know what’s there to begin with?” he asks. MAPA’s first of many “layers” was launched on Google Earth last year, accounting for every protected region in eastern and southern Africa. It’s the result of 12 months of fieldwork covering 125,000 hard-earned miles and at least one run-in with lions. “They stayed near our camp all day,” Eveleigh recalls. “We heard roaring in the night, and then the bellows of a dying buffalo.”–Text by Ryan Bradley; Photographs courtesy of MAPA Project

Comments

1. mens hiking boots
    February 18, 2010, 12:07 pm

WOW what an amazing thing to do!

2. Christian
    August 21, 2010, 11:39 pm

That is a brilliant idea.
    Christian

3. hollister clothes
    October 5, 2010, 2:07 am

s a child I was slave to my impulses; now I am slave to my habits, as are all grown men. I have surrendered my free will to the years of accumulated habits and the past deeds of my life have already marked out a path which threatensdd

4. Microsoft Office 2007
    October 26, 2010, 11:16 pm

wooffice
    safdsgfhghg
    Thanks for sharing your article. I really enjoyed it. I put a link to my site to here so other people can read it. My readers have about the same interets

5. thomassabouk
    October 27, 2010, 3:18 am

she persuaded him to thomas sabo shop quit the job as Thomas Sabo necklace leader at a packed, ran together, he slipped out of the house of the thomas sabo online grasslands. There she is grassland, just know, in fact is thomas sabo bracelet a big waste Danzig, remote, no electricity, telephone call, ten miles to run thomas sabo onlineshop a few families like stars, like Danzig grassland, scattered in the thomas sabo Sterling silver evening, black, or have the Wolf bone-crunching voice came. In the beginning, she often sleeps and thinks the thomas sabo price time they were as Thomas Sabo suppliers.

6. Windows 7 Key
    December 13, 2010, 2:43 am

You made some good points there. I searched this topic and found out that most people will agree with your blog. Big thanks for the useful info i found on Comentari de categoria nova.

7. triathlon wetsuit price
    January 2, 2011, 3:26 pm

Love this post. By the way triathlon wetsuit triathlon wetsuit price triathlon water swimming water sports neoprene

8. Penis Enlargement
    January 20, 2011, 4:36 am

I am thoroughly convinced in this said post. I am currently searching for ways in which I could enhance my knowledge in this said topic you have posted here. It does help me a lot knowing that you have shared this information here freely. I love the way the people here interact and shared their opinions too. I would love to track your future posts pertaining to the said topic we are able to read.

9. The Magic Of Making Up
    January 26, 2011, 11:03 am

What a lifetime opportunity.
    A milestone in anyone’s life.

10. Is tinnitus miracle a scam
    February 11, 2011, 2:11 am

Excellent this was a great post. I loved it.

March 4, 2011, 6:10 pm

12. sex medicine
    May 30, 2011, 11:01 am

I am delighted that I came upon this blog, I could not discover any information on this topic prior to visiting your post. Thanks God I came across on this blog and found the relevant information.

13. newport beach chiropractor
    July 7, 2011, 8:15 pm

14. turtle ridge homes
    July 12, 2011, 11:01 pm

They stayed near our camp all day,” Eveleigh recalls.

15. sex medicine
    July 20, 2011, 10:45 am

This really is an awesome post, I’m happy I recently found. I have been trying to find guest writers for my blog so if you ever decide that’s something you are interested in please feel free to contact me. I will be back to look at out more of your articles later!

16. the magic of making up
    September 23, 2011, 5:48 pm

the grass is higher than the car..is it enough for just merely 40 volunteers?

17. Tera Gold
    September 29, 2011, 3:01 am

I prefer headlines that create a little controversy, I always find myself clicking on titles that are imaginative out of curiosity. Many best players know some online game.

18. moncler coats
    October 24, 2011, 3:54 am

As I mentioned at the particular end involving last year’azines Flickr set associated with Periods Square pictures, the actual Television protection was clearly far much more substantial than what I could attain along with just a new single DSLR digicam and also it was additionally infinitely much more sophisticated, along with substantial-conclude Television cameras located in strategic vantage points all all close to the square. On your other hand, the Television photos look, along with then vanish, typically leaving no lasting impression. By contrast, these still photos will certainly hopefully end up being exciting for you to search at months, if not any long time, from now.

19. Farms for sale
    January 28, 2012, 1:09 pm

20. Ealtamira
    February 10, 2012, 4:24 pm

21. fast cash advance
    February 12, 2012, 1:55 pm

Good clean UI and nice informative blog. I will be coming back soon, Thanks for posting some great ideas and I’ll try to return back with a completely different.

22. Land For Sale
    February 15, 2012, 4:47 am

When the Greenland ice sheet slips off, organic moisturizer is going to be as useless as a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest.

23. Land For Sale
    February 15, 2012, 4:47 am

24. Cruceros
    February 19, 2012, 2:52 pm

Thanks so much for keeping the internet classy for a change. You’ve got style, class, bravado. I mean it. Please keep it up because without the internet is definitely lacking in intelligence.

25. debt consolidation
    February 20, 2012, 12:06 pm

On refusa continuar payar custosi traductores. At solmen va esser necessi far uniform grammatica, pronunciation e plu sommun paroles.

26. sanitizing mats
    February 23, 2012, 9:59 am

I am sure it will be an extremely informative one and all those will attend it will be quite beneficial.

27. debt consolidation