Potter-450

The Icarus Project: Sky Flier Dean S. Potter

On a sunny afternoon in mid-August, Dean Potter stepped onto a tongue of rock just below the summit of Switzerland’s Eiger and jumped off. At first he plunged toward a ledge 600 feet below, then air gathered in his wingsuit, his forward trajectory kicked in, and he began to fly.

Speeding three feet ahead for every one he dropped, Potter, 37, watched as ice slopes gave way to talus, then to fields, then cabins, then houses, restaurants, and eventually a town, which he veered away from to avoid the power lines. By the time he pulled his chute and drifted to earth, Potter had spent two minutes and 50 seconds in flight. It was the longest BASE jump ever, covering some 9,000 vertical feet and nearly four miles. Read the story and watch the video >>

***

Three weeks ago we announced the 2009 Adventurers of the Yearselected
for their extraordinary achievements in exploration, conservation,
action sports, and humanitarian work. Now, for the first time ever, you
can vote for the Readers' Choice Adventurer of the Year. To help you
get to know them, we are going to highlight a different adventurer
daily. You can only vote once, so make sure to check out each
adventurers' profilevideo, and photo gallery, before firing up our voting machine.

Comments

1. Allogarage
    December 1, 2009, 11:06 am

Dean Potter is incredible. 9000 vertical feet is simply awesome. Thanks for sharing the video of this exploit.

2. Mich Andrews
    December 3, 2009, 5:59 am

He’s a gutsy chap that’s for sure. This is more adventurous to me and he get my vote.

3. New York Hotel
    January 11, 2010, 3:56 pm

He is too much adventurous for me and my wife! When we watched the video she closed her yeas:) We are not adventurous persons. The biggest extreme we do is ski once a year) We prefer quiet and measured vacation in NY, sleeping in nice hotels, eating in nice restaurants and simply interesting attractions:) Anyway, thanks for the post!

4. best hiking boots
    January 23, 2010, 10:46 pm

wow just amzing…totaly free! No limits, great video!

5. jennifer gallagher
    February 3, 2010, 9:48 pm

when is this on natgeo tv????????????????????????????????????????????

6. JimmyTH
    February 4, 2010, 12:27 pm

We saw a show about a bunch of guys doing this falling/flying somewhere in Portugal and it was terrifying and fascinating to see. One of those things you just can’t comprehend learning, because obviously you can’t start out by jumping off a cliff. Everybody who does this must be a very experienced skydiver and already have the basics of the system. Even so, what they do is just too terrible to watch, and at the same time you’d really like to do that yourself. Looks like the greatest fun ever.

7. Cheap lots in Costa Rica
    March 17, 2010, 11:35 am

Excellent information to many people like that read articles to learn about these issues of great interest.

8. cheap louis vuitton
    August 10, 2010, 3:24 am

wow just amzing…totaly free! No limits, great video!

9. tiffany jewellery
    August 24, 2010, 3:51 am

the landscape is beautiful, the experience is wonderful.

10. Air Max Skyline Bianco
    September 15, 2010, 2:13 am

Nice, and thanks for sharing this info with us.
    Good Luck!

11. Mesothelioma Cancer
    October 12, 2010, 7:14 am

Jumps from 600 feet its horrible.

12. Online Education
    October 13, 2010, 5:34 am

Outstanding effort to jump from the 600 feet height…

March 4, 2011, 6:30 pm

14. security camera system
    March 15, 2011, 2:59 am

Its too much hard you jump from 600 feet really difficult job.

15. christian love quotes
    March 24, 2011, 3:52 am

I was reading something similar on another website that i was researching. I will be sure to look around more.

16. ROI Unlimited
    April 16, 2011, 4:32 pm

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. Thank you for sharing.
    -Syed-

17. Medical Degree Arizona
    May 16, 2011, 6:09 am

Thank you for providing the perspective. I just read a part of the article, so I don’t know much what to say. Good luck for the new member!

18. CNA Certification Michigan
    May 16, 2011, 6:11 am

[...] Produk ini menggunakan teknik ekstraksi enzim makhluk hidup yang dikembangkan oleh institute sains RRC. (PATENT No. ZL92113520.3), Zat Kalsium Organik diekstrak melalui pemprosesan tulang sumsum sapi segar (enzim yang diambil dari kalsium tulang). (Lebih lengkap mengenai Kalsium silahkan baca Salah Besar Jika Beranggapan Kalsium Hanya Untuk Tulang) [...]

19. costamesa chiropractic
    July 25, 2011, 4:49 pm

20. hospital curtains
    November 15, 2011, 4:19 am

It is the importation of advanced technology which combines genuine goose down with waterproof fabric polyamide. Moncler coat are famous for absorbing style, limited vogue and lightweight comfort. Great post. A lot of useful information here. I’m sending it to some friends!

21. couples counseling
    November 16, 2011, 8:45 am

I completely agree with the above comment, the internet is with a doubt growing into the most important medium of communication across the globe and its due to sites like this that ideas are spreading so quickly. Today I found your blog, I checked carefully, and it was very interesting.I love him so much. I hope you are lucky that a lot of success.

22. cubicle curtains
    November 16, 2011, 9:11 am

23. usa jerseys
    December 5, 2011, 2:54 am

Suffering from a Stanley Cup hangover while trying to find the right chemistry with a revamped roster, Chicago went 8-9-2 to open last season. The Blackhawks never fully recovered, as they barely made the Western Conference playoffs and lost to top-seeded Vancouver in the first round.

24. hair scissors
    December 7, 2011, 7:51 am

This is very nice and informative blog. This is about Dean S. Potter. He is really a brave man. I like him a lot.

25. Philadelphia House
    February 1, 2012, 9:43 am

This a breath taking photo, i can feel the excitement