It used to be, if you wanted to see the most extreme places on Earth, you'd have to wait for folks like Jacques Cousteau to head out with film crews, big cameras, reels of tape, and limited power. Then they'd hit the editing room and emerge, months later, with a final product. Then, you'd have to wait for it to air on TV. Those days, like the Calypso, are a thing of the past.

Now, with compact hi-def cameras, powerful laptops, satellite modems, and alternative power sources, expeditions of any size can cut together films from the field, in near real time. This flexibility hinges on access to affordable, professional editing software, such as Apple's new Final Cut Studio, an upgrade to the preferred Final Cut Pro that's just $1,000. This fall we joined the Eddie Bauer First Ascent Everest team, led by mountaineers Ed Viesturs and Peter Whittaker, send in daily video dispatches on a climb of the world's tallest mountain. The remotest corners of the planet are opening up for the rest of us to see, sans down jacket.

We decided to survey our own National Geographic explorers to see how they are using improved technology to bring the world their stories like never before. First up, a climber-artist Renan Ozturk. At just 29, this North Face athlete-artist has made his unique films that combine video with illustrations from the Czech Republic's sandstone towers, the Himalaya's Tapovan Base Camp (14,000 feet), and Borneo's Mount Kinabalu (13,000 feet), as well as Argentine Patagonia and Yosemite National Park. Here, he tells us how he does it.—Mary Anne Potts

Renan-ozturk-500
National Geographic ADVENTURE: How have you seen video editing and publishing change over the last few years? How has your expedition video equipment changed?

Renan Ozturk: Technology has changed the game completely. With solar and satellite modems, you can literally publish your story as it is happening. You can share the adventure in real time without the months of post production filtering the story. For me, as an artist, instead of bringing my art supplies and a canvas, I have a whole new quiver of electronics including a laptop, solar panels, and satellite modem. It's kinda a junk show but its really worth it when you look at how many people you can share a rare and remote experience with.

Do you edit video while you are in the field?

Yeah, I think editing on the fly and in the field is a really unique way to work as a filmmaker. In a remote Himalaya base camp with no electricity and limited sun for solar power, it forces an on-the-spot creativity that, for me, is really similar to painting a large canvas. You are always racing to edit your piece with the battery you have left. Its really powerful to produce a finished product the same day the action happens while it is fresh in your mind, working directly with your talent and feeling fully inspired by being in the elements. Not in some bleak office space.

Do you post video online from the field?

Yeah, it can be pretty epic. I do the compression in the field and send it with a satellite modem. The files can be kind of large. It is unreal to create an Internet connection in a remote location that is almost as fast as a DSL connection back home.

What video editing software do you use? Why do you use it?

I use the Final Cut Studio editing software. With limited battery power, I can edit the footage professionally, add art animation, and do the compression all in an integrated set of programs.

What challenges does your environment present to the filmmaking process?

Altitude can crash your hard drives. Big storms can crush your hopes of running your solar set-up. Snow and rain added to cameras and computers can mean scary loss potential.
Satellite modem issues. If base camp is not in "line of sight" of the satellite, you have to hike to get your signal.

Once, for or example, on Meru's Shark's Fin, we had cameras constantly going down in a big Himalayan snowstorm. We had to use some of the fuel from our stove to de-ice the electronics. Also, on the editing front, in order to get some of dispatches finished with limited battery we had to cover a small tent completely in sleeping bags to create a "dark room" environment so I could turn the laptop screen almost fully down and save some juice.

Photograph courtesy of Renan Ozturk

Related Stories:

Tripit

Steve Casimiro's Top 20 iPhone Travel Apps

Reader's Choice Top 10 iPhone Travel Apps

Travel Tech: Online Video Sharing – YouTube Vs. Vimeo

Comments

1. Heather Groff
    October 15, 2009, 10:18 pm

Bruce this one is for you.

2. xmas gifts
    November 3, 2009, 1:30 am

It looks awesome. According to me it is the finest place in a earth.Thanks for sharing.

3. air yeezy
    May 5, 2010, 12:04 am

Interesting article as for me. It would be great to read a bit more about that topic.

4. Supra Cuban
    July 26, 2010, 5:06 am

Your blog is different from the blogs I’ve read ever before. I am so excited to read it . And I also want to introduce http://www.supras.cc/supra-skylow-12/ to you .

5. new balance
    July 30, 2010, 8:58 pm

Mutual forgiveness of each vice, such are the gates of Paradise. Do you understand?

6. Edinburgh Accommodation
    August 2, 2010, 9:00 am

very nice article for me Well, at least Its interested. Cant wait to see more of this from you.

7. cheap louis vuitton
    August 10, 2010, 4:31 am

8. Digital Video Production
    October 2, 2010, 10:18 pm

In my experience, a high-pressure situation like trying to finish a project while the battery is about to run out can encourage creativity in the editing/post-production process.

9. abstract paintings for sale
    October 16, 2010, 11:42 pm

beautiful images…thank you for the post!

10. vibram.us
    October 27, 2010, 4:49 am

Geshi of marriage, the afterlife life, has been Mens Vibram Fivefingers Kso shoes orange black grey repeated, Tanabata encounter, Tanabata love, Tanabata, respectively, Tanabata reunion. -
    Written in words that everything is in black and white of the contract, agreement, and can not simply say you’re sorry about.

11. sara davis
    November 30, 2010, 9:16 pm

Around the world!…Sun Putty is known for extreme environment protection! We challenge anyone to doubt the amazing efficacy of our ingredient decks…
    100% Natural…100% Effective…Safe for you and the environment…That’s our mission!
    Get out there…but stay protected…with Sun Putty http://www.sunputty.com

12. cv writing service
    December 14, 2010, 8:04 pm

I don’t have enough guts to do the same this guys perform. Really brave people.

13. Dr. Ben - Solar Inventor
    January 12, 2011, 3:07 pm

Wow this is so awesome. I can’t wait to see what more is to come!

14. Projector Chick
    January 13, 2011, 4:39 pm

I’m not sure if this is bravery or insanity but I bet it will look amazing on my wide screen!

March 3, 2011, 5:46 pm

16. cheap car hire Denmark
    April 28, 2011, 5:59 am

17. Home & Garden
    May 7, 2011, 3:38 am

Thank you for sharing. Very happy to see your article, I very much to like and agree with your point of view. Have a good time.

18. Sports Coaching Courses
    July 19, 2011, 2:34 am

I can’t imagine myself be on the top of the highest and frozen mountain in the world and setting-up film making stuffs… I wonder how you guys do that? The effort itself of climbing the mountain…makes you all amazing.
    Keep it up!…I mean not to climb another one…but in creating amazing films.

19. marketing course gold coast
    July 19, 2011, 3:40 am

You guys inspires me of becoming a film maker someday… I know it’s not yet to late at my age now… I wanted to make movies as famous as your movies. Someday….I promise myself… I’ll be on the top of that business.

20. seal beach mortgage brokers
    August 3, 2011, 9:45 pm

the powerful laptops, satellite modems, and alternative power sources, expeditions of any size can cut together films from the field, in near real time.

21. keylogger Mac
    September 29, 2011, 3:11 am

This is my first time i visit here. I found interesting things to many in your blog, mostly to the debate. Of the tons of comments on your articles, I’m not the only one who has all the fun here!

22. Italian Sofas
    November 2, 2011, 8:52 pm

This documentary reminds me of the great Italian climber Giovinni. He was a little known climber in the early 1970s that would film all his adventures. I am thrilled to see this on film.

23. how to approach women
    February 22, 2012, 12:25 am

Hi Admin. Wow! What a unique way of making a film. I never thought film making is also full of thrills and excitement like this one. Thanks.

24. Burberry Sale
    February 23, 2012, 2:28 am

Thank you for your artice, it is wonderful. Wish you have a happy day.

25. Hermes Birkin
    February 23, 2012, 3:02 am

Really liked your article, very exciting, and gives a lot of thinking, I hope you can see more of your article, thank you