Donald Trump’s Battle of Balmedie, Scotland–Mass Tourism Style

Beyond Green Travel is a blog written by Global Travel Editor Costas Christ

What Donald Trump wants, he gets–but maybe not all of it this time.

Since I first blogged last year about the struggle between
environmentalists and local residents opposed to Trump’s plans to build a
mass tourism development on an unspoiled stretch of Scottish coastline
(see my blog entry of July 4, 2008), the battle has become hotter,
grabbing the attention of the New York Times, who reported this month on
Trump’s progress in turning 1,400 acres of fragile natural habitat and
rural countryside in Balmedie, Scotland, into 950 vacation homes, two golf
courses, a 450 room hotel, 500 single-family houses, a conference center
and a golf academy. The only thing now standing in Trump’s way is not
investment money in these bad economic times (he recently boasted that he
sold a house in Palm Beach for $100 million) but rather, a local fisherman
named, Michael Forbes.

Despite mounting pressure, Forbes has refused to
sell or move off of his 23 acre farm, where he has lived for 41 years and
which sits right in the middle of Trump’s mass tourism building site, which
also includes an ecologically sensitive area designated for migratory
birds.

Seven local community officials who voted against Trump’s project
were declared “traitors" in news headlines and then overruled by the
Scottish Government. Martin Ford, the locally-elected Chairman who cast
the decisive vote against Trump’s plan, was ousted and stripped of his
chairmanship, causing him to lose half his annual income. And, after
refusing to give up his land to Trump, saying he would not move, no matter
who wanted him to, Michael Forbes has found himself subject to an odd
series of inspections from authorities who showed up at his home to see if
he was abusing his farm animals (he was not), if he had a proper license
for his shotgun (he does), and other similar random investigations.

Trump, who usually flies into the area on his private jet and makes
statements, has called Forbes’ 23 acre coastal farm, a monstrosity that
ought to be cleaned up or condemned. But Forbes is not giving up his land
and home easily, if at all. Locals who understand the need for economic
development, particularly in hard economic times, have made the case that
this is not the right place for a project as big as what Trump plans. But
as I reported in my blog on January 13, 2009, government permission has
already been granted to Trump to proceed with his mega-tourism
development. Only Michael Forbes now stands in his way. This is Scotland,
where bravery is part of cultural heritage. Stay tuned.

Comments

1. Amanda in Toronto
    July 8, 2009, 11:23 am

Good for you Michael Forbes for protecting the natural habitat of Scotland’s coast! the world does not need another Trump development. If he wants to build one, he should stay in the United States and keep the UK out of it.
    Stay strong Scotsman!

2. Car hire
    March 23, 2010, 8:26 am

Respect for Mr. Forbes, really honorable iniciative!

3. Alej
    October 3, 2010, 8:23 am

uhm, that sounds disturbing

4. Building Site Accident
    November 2, 2010, 1:32 am

According to statistics released by the Health and Safety Authority for 2009, more than 10% of all workplace related accidents happen on a building site. These factors have led to a higher proportion of building site injuries in real terms and a proportionate increase in claims for compensation. The importance of this is that the Statute of Limitations allows two years for you to make a compensation claim for your building site injury from your date of knowledge.

5. David Reed
    November 3, 2010, 11:26 am

It really does irritate me that people with vast wealth can ride roughshod over the common man. I fear that Mr Forbes faces a long period of ‘attacks’ from Trump and his well heeled friends.

6. Lynda
    November 3, 2010, 2:15 pm

I agree here…good for Michael Forbes as well as the others. Why should the wealthy keep getting richer and walk all over the rest of us…that just doesn’t seem right. I too think this doesn’t sound over and that Mr Forbes and the others will probably be subjected to other things. It is just to bad that everything comes to this. Lets preserve, why put our technological footprint on everything…

7. Workplace Accident Claim
    December 1, 2010, 5:36 am

If you have been injured in a workplace accident, you may be entitled to make a workplace accident compensation claim. Where the accident was not entirely you fault, and there is an element of liability on your employer, he may have failed to fulfill his obligations under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act to provide a safe working environment for you.

8. Tablet PCs
    April 22, 2011, 3:42 am

Many of the destinations on this kind of a budget trip were green before it was a movement, such as that thatched hut built with local materials and owned by the village grandma using kerosene lanterns for light, or the original way to “car pool” that reduces carbon emissions (also known as riding the country bus to get between towns and villages), or back street eateries where the food is always sourced from local farmers…but can you assure us that traveling with your assistance is safe? 2945abc45 0422

9. rent a car Switzerland
    April 27, 2011, 10:10 am

It is just to bad that everything comes to this. Lets preserve, why put our technological footprint on everything..

10. Maria
    August 17, 2011, 6:45 pm

I commend Michael Forbes for trying to protect Scotland’s natural habitat. I am all for economic improvement, but at what price. Nobody should ever be harassed into giving up their land. Stand strong for what you believe.

11. cheap car insurance
    November 15, 2011, 2:54 pm

Hope you enjoy your thousands, or even millions, for camping and bitching for a few months. Good luck, and may the maggots not make you their last meal.

12. Non Profit Debt Consolidation
    November 28, 2011, 9:20 am

13. guitar tuner
    November 28, 2011, 1:08 pm

14. fishing charters
    November 29, 2011, 9:56 am

Everyone interested in protecting their rights are encouraged to sign the petition to endorse the Wellington Declaration.

15. mold removal nj
    December 1, 2011, 9:02 am

16. web hosting in pakistan
    December 2, 2011, 5:49 am

Whenever I visit your blog, I can feel the spirit of devotion to the job and willingness to learn. Your smile enlightens me. I am happy meeting you. Your posts on the steps to follow in preparing and using tools in addition to your blog will be a reference in future.

17. MMORPG
    December 6, 2011, 2:39 am

18. plastic surgery san diego
    December 14, 2011, 10:28 am

19. the paleo diet
    December 22, 2011, 1:05 am

20. Iunlock iphone 4s
    December 24, 2011, 1:43 am

21. modern warfare 3
    December 24, 2011, 8:45 am

You also know how to make people rally behind it, obviously from the responses taking time and real effort to make a good article !!

22. Learn English Denver Colorado
    December 25, 2011, 10:35 am

23. ecommerce website design
    December 26, 2011, 4:41 am

24. corporate training
    December 26, 2011, 1:19 pm

25. seattle moving company
    December 27, 2011, 3:17 am

The importance of this is that the Statute of Limitations allows two years for you to make a compensation claim for your building site injury from your date of knowledge.

26. graphic design
    January 6, 2012, 2:08 am

27. Properties for sale in France
    January 6, 2012, 3:08 am

28. Tricep Workouts
    January 7, 2012, 9:21 pm

29. royalty accounting software
    January 7, 2012, 11:02 pm

30. rapturestyle
    January 8, 2012, 10:54 pm

31. theshiftersdc
    January 9, 2012, 7:33 am

32. Reseller hosting pakistan
    January 12, 2012, 6:06 am

hmm..Thanks for the post..

33. Cheap Computer Desks
    January 19, 2012, 12:19 pm

34. unlock iphone 4
    January 26, 2012, 9:27 am

Hope you enjoy your thousands, or even millions, for camping and bitching for a few months. Good luck.

35. los angeles answering services
    January 30, 2012, 12:37 pm

36. professional answering service
    January 30, 2012, 2:03 pm

I commend Michael Forbes for trying to protect Scotland’s natural habitat.

37. unlock iphone
    February 1, 2012, 12:34 am

38. Aircraft For Sale
    February 3, 2012, 4:27 am

39. Cartier Watches
    February 7, 2012, 12:47 pm

40. Genesis
    February 9, 2012, 6:08 am

41. auto insurance quotes comparison
    February 9, 2012, 7:24 am

42. HostasDirect.com Heucheras for sale
    February 9, 2012, 11:28 am

43. tyre prices
    February 17, 2012, 9:37 am

I personally can not develop the use of software. I just use the existing software only. I am a user not a programmer.