Archives for April, 2008

The Adventure Life with Steve Casimiro
Everything I Know About Being Green I Learned From Camping

Text and photograph by West Coast Editor Steve Casimiro 1. Ignore a small problem—the beginnings of a blister, for example—and it’s guaranteed to become a big problem. 2. If you don’t plan ahead, you will run out of toilet paper. Neither pine needles nor pages of the Audubon Society field guides are worthy substitutes. Continue…

The Adventure Life with Steve Casimiro
Adventure Photography: Stop and Shoot the Roses

Text and photograph by West Coast Editor Steve Casimiro Over the years, I have received countless tips and bits of advice on photography. Only two resonated and stayed with me. Yes, just two. But these two are so powerful, they run through my brain every time I shoot. Together, they’ve made improvements in my photography…

The Adventure Life with Steve Casimiro
Adventure Photography: Stop and Shoot the Roses

Text and photograph by West Coast Editor Steve Casimiro Over the years, I have received countless tips and bits of advice on photography. Only two resonated and stayed with me. Yes, just two. But these two are so powerful, they run through my brain every time I shoot. Together, they’ve made improvements in my photography…

The Love Test: A Modern Adventure Romance

Text by Mara McFalls   Photograph by Daniel Pepper There’s a real problem for people sparking up romance in their 30s. Had I followed John’s schedule, we’d have dated for five years, then gotten engaged for a year, then after a year or so, we would have had kids. Um, hello, I’d be 40 before I…

The Love Test: A Modern Adventure Romance

Text by Mara McFalls   Photograph by Daniel Pepper There’s a real problem for people sparking up romance in their 30s. Had I followed John’s schedule, we’d have dated for five years, then gotten engaged for a year, then after a year or so, we would have had kids. Um, hello, I’d be 40 before I…

Team ADVENTURE: Countdown to the Drambuie Pursuit in Scotland

Text by Associate Editor Andrea Minarcek   Photograph courtesy Phil Lewis/Team Justin Tonight marks the start of the annual Drambuie Pursuit, a 100-mile, multisport race across the Scottish Highlands. I’ve joined three magazine readers—Reagan Evans, Chris Lewis, and Phil Lewis—to compete with Team ADVENTURE. The Austin-based trio was selected from a pool of applicants based on…

The Adventure Life with Steve Casimiro
Gear Review: No Lasik, But I Can See Clearly Now

Dramatic rendering of BEFORE and AFTER. Text and photographs by West Coast Editor Steve Casimiro Lasik? No way. Not when there’s something better and safer. The 95 percent success rate of Lasik eye surgery is a small comfort to the other 5 percent (up to 600,000 people) who have had complications or complaints. And even…

The Adventure Life with Steve Casimiro
Gear Review: No Lasik, But I Can See Clearly Now

Dramatic rendering of BEFORE and AFTER. Text and photographs by West Coast Editor Steve Casimiro Lasik? No way. Not when there’s something better and safer. The 95 percent success rate of Lasik eye surgery is a small comfort to the other 5 percent (up to 600,000 people) who have had complications or complaints. And even…

The Adventure Life with Steve Casimiro
The Five Best Things About Returning to Civilization CELEBRITY EDITION!

Nothing says home like a plate of steaming haggis.—Adventurer Colin Angus It only takes a couple weeks in the backcountry to make you—well, me—miss steamed milk, unmelted chocolate, and pillows. But what about hard-core adventurers? Maybe they’re so core, they don’t miss a thing. Maybe they make us look like the big, fat wussies we…

The Adventure Life with Steve Casimiro
The Five Best Things About Returning to Civilization CELEBRITY EDITION!

Nothing says home like a plate of steaming haggis.—Adventurer Colin Angus It only takes a couple weeks in the backcountry to make you—well, me—miss steamed milk, unmelted chocolate, and pillows. But what about hard-core adventurers? Maybe they’re so core, they don’t miss a thing. Maybe they make us look like the big, fat wussies we…